Thursday, April 2, 2009

Humans Aren't the Only Ones Affected by the ND Flood

While trying to find a news topic to discuss in my blog this week that did not pertain to the flood, I struggled. The flood seems to be the only thing on every television station and on the front page of every newspaper. Last week, Fargo/Moorhead even made the cover of the Wall street Journal. The flood has affected everyone in North Dakota. It has been a crazy few weeks with people getting evicted from their houses. However, people have not been the only ones affected by the flood in North Dakota.

The Equine Center in Fargo, located West of I29 has recently made room for an additional 120 horses for people in the area affected by the flood. The barn usually has in between 70 and 100 horses, and before the flood they had 85. Making room for an additional 120 has been hectic, and it is crowded but something the owners were happy to do. There is no charge to keep your horses at the Equine Center. Volunteers have helped with care and exercising the horses during the day. Some local businesses also have donated supplies.

Emergency shelters and many hotels don't accept pets, and neighbors and friends taking in evacuees often don't have room for their pets, too. The Fargo Fairgrounds have opened up a shelter for the 200 plus pets that were sadly left behind by their owners while evacuating Fargo the past few weeks. The Humane Society, along with Adopt-A-Pet and emergency managers in Fargo and Moorhead, Minn., turned a pavilion normally used for horse and cattle shows into a flood shelter and started accepting pets late last week.

Volunteers are caring for the pets after their owners made the difficult decision to go on without them. I can’t imagine leaving my dogs behind anywhere. I haven’t been home to my parents’ house for about three weeks and my heart breaks because I haven’t seen my dogs.
So remember, we (people) aren’t the only ones being affected by the flood. Go home and hug your pet today!

3 comments:

  1. I was so glad to hear that people were setting up shelter for animals. I realize that they're often not allowed at shelters for health reasons, but that is not a reason to leave them behind! I read on the F-M Humane Society Website a week or two ago that they needed volunteers and supplies. I wanted to go up there to help the pets. Unfortuantely I had to work and couldn't make it up there. I love animals, and I want victims of the flood to know that their animals are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog this week! Animals and rescuing animals is something near and dear to my heart. I totally was checking out Craigslist last week, and looking at the pet section (we want to get a dog, but can't thanks to our crazy landlord) anyways...Craigslist showed so many posts by people in the FM area offering to watch local pets that are endagered. We need to remember that others are affected by flood devestation as well. I think it says alot when someone else thinks about another friend in need. And that includes pets. I was so proud to read in your article about local pet stores and shelters taking in pets to help. It really goes to show how my hometown can be! Way to go Fargo-Moorhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flood is definitely affecting everyone in North Dakota and parts of Minnesota. It is amazing how water can do so much damage. Another thing that is interesting is that water can be unpredictable with its rising and cresting stages. There are many businesses that are trying to help out at much as possible in Fargo and many other places. Also, people everywhere are trying to sandbag as much as possible to try and save their homes or even a strangers home. I think it is wonderful that there are also place for pets to go during these hard times. I know West Fargo’s Red River Valley Fairgrounds are accepting animals to stay if needed.

    ReplyDelete